World

UN reform pact passes at New York summit, despite Russian obstruction

Sep 24, 2024

New York [US], September 23: Despite Russian efforts to derail the agreement, the international community adopted a UN reform plan at the Summit of the Future in New York on Sunday.
UN General Assembly President Philemon Yang declared the United Nations Pact for the Future formally adopted - against the will of Moscow and several other states.
Russia distanced itself from the agreement, which was supposed to be adopted unanimously, with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Vershinin saying that the countries that were not satisfied with the agreement had not been given the opportunity for further negotiations.
"If our amendment is not included in the text of the pact, then we distance ourselves from the consensus on this document," Vershinin said.
Immediately after the Russian announcement, the Democratic Republic of the Congo submitted a motion to reject Russia's move, which was accepted by a majority of 143 votes in the UN General Assembly.
On Saturday night, UN member states had prepared to counter Moscow's motion on the so-called Pact for the Future. Diplomats had already been concerned about Russia's obstructionism during the work on the Pact for the Future.
Ahead of the summit, diplomats had hoped the agreement would be adopted unanimously by all 193 states of the United Nations without a vote. Diplomats had reportedly anticipated Russia would support the painstakingly negotiated compromise, despite its threats.
The pact for the future was negotiated under the leadership of Germany and Namibia.
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said he is counting on the pact to create new trust in the United Nations. "At a time of great tension and uncertainty, we need the Pact for the Future more than ever," the German leader said in a speech given in English.
"The Pact for the Future can serve as a compass for us. A compass whose needle points towards more cooperation and partnership, instead of towards more conflict and fragmentation," Scholz said. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the pact opens up new possibilities and opportunities for peace and security.
Source: Qatar Tribune

More news

Medanta Gurugram Becomes the Only Indian Private Hospital in Newsweek's Top 150 'World's Best Hospitals' List for the Sixth Consecutive Year

Gurugram (Haryana) [India], April 3: Medanta - The Medicity, Gurugram, operated by Global Health Limited (https://www.medanta.org/), has once again been ranked as India's best private hospital in Newsweek's prestigious 'World's Best Hospitals 2025' rankings, conducted in partnership with Statista Inc. Notably, Medanta remains the only private hospital from India to be featured among the world's top 250 medical institutions and has been ranked within the top 150 globally. This marks the sixth consecutive year of its inclusion, reinforcing its status as a global leader in healthcare excellence. This achievement further underscores Medanta's unwavering commitment to delivering world-class healthcare and maintaining the highest standards in patient care and medical innovation.

Apr 03, 2025