World

State of emergency in Los Angeles after a fierce fire

Nov 13, 2023

Los Angeles [US], November 13: As of today (November 13), the state of emergency in Los Angeles City (California, USA) is still maintained and people are advised to use public transportation to ensure smooth circulation.
The Guardian newspaper quoted Los Angeles officials as saying that drivers in this area will face endless traffic chaos, as fire teams are still assessing the extent of damage from a fierce fire . located near the city center.
A state of emergency was previously issued by California Governor Gavin Newsom on the afternoon of November 11. He also directed the state transportation agency to actively handle the problem and seek support from the government.
The decision to blockade was made in the context of a large fire that disrupted traffic on Interstate 10, running above warehouses in downtown Los Angeles.
Mr. Newsom said in a news conference that rescue teams were still working to clear burning material from underneath the freeway to make room for engineers to handle the situation. However, he could not give a timeline for when the expressway could operate again.
Workers are encouraged to work from home or take public transportation into central Los Angeles , according to The Independent.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. According to the fire department, the fire reported at about 12:20 a.m. on November 11 spread through two warehouses in an industrial park below the highway, burning many hazardous materials. No injuries were reported.
More than 160 firefighters responded to the blaze spread across three hectares, equivalent to about six football fields. Highway columns were charred and dented, while guardrails along the road surface were deformed by the fire.
Governor Newsom said on November 12 that the state would sue the owner of the storage facility where the fire started. According to him, the lease contract had expired and the owner had outstanding debt when subleasing the premises.
Mr. Toks Omishakin, head of the California Department of Transportation, said that companies building storage yards under highways is a common occurrence throughout the state. The fire caused the government to reconsider this activity.
At least 16 homeless people living underneath the highway were evacuated and taken to shelters.
Source: ThanhNien Newspaper

More news

Medanta Gurugram Becomes the Only Indian Private Hospital in Newsweek's Top 150 'World's Best Hospitals' List for the Sixth Consecutive Year

Gurugram (Haryana) [India], April 3: Medanta - The Medicity, Gurugram, operated by Global Health Limited (https://www.medanta.org/), has once again been ranked as India's best private hospital in Newsweek's prestigious 'World's Best Hospitals 2025' rankings, conducted in partnership with Statista Inc. Notably, Medanta remains the only private hospital from India to be featured among the world's top 250 medical institutions and has been ranked within the top 150 globally. This marks the sixth consecutive year of its inclusion, reinforcing its status as a global leader in healthcare excellence. This achievement further underscores Medanta's unwavering commitment to delivering world-class healthcare and maintaining the highest standards in patient care and medical innovation.

Apr 03, 2025