World

Canadian, Italian PMs' soiree scrapped amid pro-Palestine protest

Mar 04, 2024

Montreal [Canada], March 4: A soiree to be attended by the prime ministers of Canada and Italy on Saturday in Toronto was cancelled over "security concerns", the Canadian leader's office said, as pro-Palestine protesters picketed the venue. Hundreds of pro-Palestine demonstrators had gathered in front of the Art Gallery of Ontario, where Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was due to host his Italian counterpart Giorgia Meloni, according to Canadian media reports. "Due to security concerns, the event was cancelled," Jenna Ghassabeh, a spokesperson for the Canadian prime minister's office, told AFP without giving further details.
Meloni, whose country holds the rotating presidency of the Group of Seven (G7) nations, is visiting Canada ahead of a leaders' summit in Italy in June. Earlier in the day, the two leaders held talks where they discussed what Meloni described as a "very difficult Middle East crisis". According to Canadian public broadcaster CBC, protesters opposed to Canada's response to the Zionist-Hamas war blocked access to the venue.
Between 200 and 300 demonstrators took part in the protest, according to the CBC. Videos and photos circulating on social media showed a heavy police presence near the gallery. The Zionist entity's relentless assault on the Gaza strip has taken a devastating toll on civilians trapped there, killing at least 30,320 people, according to the territory's health ministry. The entity says its nearly five-month assault is in retaliation to an October 7 attack by Hamas which resulted in the deaths of around 1,160 people, according to an AFP tally of official Zionist figures. - AFP
Source: Kuwait Times

More news

Medanta Gurugram Becomes the Only Indian Private Hospital in Newsweek's Top 150 'World's Best Hospitals' List for the Sixth Consecutive Year

Gurugram (Haryana) [India], April 3: Medanta - The Medicity, Gurugram, operated by Global Health Limited (https://www.medanta.org/), has once again been ranked as India's best private hospital in Newsweek's prestigious 'World's Best Hospitals 2025' rankings, conducted in partnership with Statista Inc. Notably, Medanta remains the only private hospital from India to be featured among the world's top 250 medical institutions and has been ranked within the top 150 globally. This marks the sixth consecutive year of its inclusion, reinforcing its status as a global leader in healthcare excellence. This achievement further underscores Medanta's unwavering commitment to delivering world-class healthcare and maintaining the highest standards in patient care and medical innovation.

Apr 03, 2025